Yup, we’re romantics! Aren’t you?
For the Urbaneer team, Valentine’s is our opportunity to acknowledge that whether Cupid is poised to strike or not, we love puppies with big eyes, chocolate mousse that tastes like air kissed with sugar, bubbles in our champagne, and clawfoot tubs!
So in honour of this tenth year of our beloved Valentine’s soundtracks, Steve chose Xanudu because “a million lights are dancing… and there you are!”
Yes, Steve was a teenager and, being the son of a mother who loved musicals it was very much his cuppa tea. Also, ’cause younger generations will NEVER know how much fun roller skating in the rink to disco was! Despite the movie being a flop, teenagers loved it!
The dance choreography was marvellous and Olivia Newtown John – at her peak of music popularity co-starring with beloved actor Gene Kelly who was almost 70 years old (in his final film performance, and he roller skated) were legends!
Xanadu was first released on August 8, 1980, and featured an unconventional, campy story that blended the golden age of 1940s MGM musicals with 1980s New Wave – augmented by mythological muses and rollerskating! It was a feel good romp, but it fell flat in theatres – quite spectacularly! In fact, it was also one of the driving forces behind the creation of the Golden Raspberry Awards, a.k.a., the ‘Razzies,’ which annually honours the not-so-best in film.
However, over the decades, Xanadu somehow become a bit of a cult classic, and even inspired a 2007 Broadway hit musical of the same name. (Forbes)
And the music? Think quintessential 80s synth bops and ballads mixed with disco beats! Here’s a tidbit about the soundtrack, which sold well despite poor ticket sales at the theatre:
“Xanadu is the soundtrack to the 1980 musical film of the same name, featuring the Australian singer Olivia Newton-John and the British group Electric Light Orchestra (ELO). It was released in June 1980 on MCA Records in the United States and July 1980 by Jet Records in the United Kingdom. The original LP release featured on side one the songs of Newton-John, and on side two the songs of ELO. In 2008 the soundtrack album was digitally remastered as a bonus CD as part of the film’s DVD release titled Xanadu: Magical Musical Edition.” (Wikipedia)
Romance, camp, and power ballads? This is why Xanadu is the perfect soundtrack for a love fest this Valentine’s Day!
Thanks for reading! I appreciate you!
May LOVE – in all its forms – be with you today and always! If you’re curious to hear my personal picks for stellar love themes, here are my past V-Day posts:
• A House Is Not A Home on Valentine’s Day 2021!
• It’s important to celebrate the emotional highs of love as well as its bitter truths. This is exactly what Gordon Lightfoot did crafting his hit ‘If You Could Read My Mind‘.
• An ode to the tropes of woodland creatures in Walt Disney & the secret shame of eating disorders, rooted in Karen Carpenter’s 1970 hit ‘Close To You’.
• A joyful song of devotion, ‘Say A Little Prayer’ performed by Dionne Warwick, was what I was feeling in 2018!
• Representing all the shades of love and lust – with plenty of camp – with my 2017 pick of Madonna’s 1989 track ‘Express Yourself’
• My 2016 naughty seductive indulgence with Madonna’s controversial 1990 video ‘Justify My Love’
• A 2015 celebration of love and real estate with the B52’s Love Shack (including a cameo by RuPaul)
• A 2014 homage to The Captain and Tenille (Steve’s first 45 record!) in Hello Cupid.
• The classic rock anthem ‘Addicted To Love’ in our 2013 Happy Valentine’s post
• A hysterically funny 2012 Thumpty-Thump ‘Love Is In The Air’ post (especially for those of you who love camp!)
With decades of experience navigating the ever-changing Toronto real estate market, a commitment to promote the sale of properties like yours with interesting and relevant information, and the ability to facilitate Buyers with credible insights and well-informed guidance, we are here to help without pressure or hassle!
May we assist you or someone you love?
Steven Fudge, Sales Representative
& The Innovative Urbaneer Team
Bosley Real Estate Ltd., Brokerage – (416) 322-8000
– we’re here to earn your trust, then your business –
Celebrating Thirty Years As A Top-Producing Toronto Realtor
*Did you know we were recently listed as one of The Top 25 Toronto Real Estate Agents To Follow On Twitter! – The Top 50 Blogs On Toronto – and The Top 100 Real Estate Blogs In Canada? Consider signing up in the box below to receive our FREE monthly e-newsletter on housing, culture and design including our love for unique urban homes and other Toronto real estate!
*Love Canadian Housing? Check out Steve’s University Student Mentorship site called Houseporn.ca which focuses on architecture, landscape, design, products and real estate in Canada.